Manager with the Ermineskin Elders Centre department
CLOSING: November 3, 2023
The manager is responsible for the planning and management of the department, programs, and services for the Elders. The Elders Manager will ensure that the operations of the department are on-going on a daily basis through high performing staff, through the implementation of the department’s strategic plan and through the implementation of policy. The Manager will also ensure that the programs and services are based on the needs of the Elders. Reporting Procedure: This position is under the direction of the Community Services Director and under the Division of Community Services and Wellness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Implement the Elders Department strategic plan and operational plan along with the Elders Department Policies.
2. Effectively supervise and manage a staff of 5 members and exercise all human resource aspects as it pertains to staff supervision (i.e. annual performance evaluations, training plans, disciplinary actions, terminations, etc.).
3. Ensure staff complies with Personnel Polices, annual performance reviews, job descriptions, and any other directives and policies that relate to their performance and training.
4. Monitor and control Elder’s operating budget and ensure all expenditures are within budget and comply with policies.
5. Ensure regulations, custom laws, and ETE Policies are adhered to by all staff.
6. Develop and maintain effective relationships and communication with staff, relevant ETE departments, Ermineskin Seniors and Citizens, and representatives from other organizations.
7. Report monthly activities to Community Services Director.
8. Provide a quarterly report to the Tribal Administrator.
9. Revise Elders Department policies annually.
10. Ensure the Elders strategic plan is reviewed annually.
11. Attend monthly Community Services and Wellness Managers meetings.
12. Coordinate and chair regular staff meetings.
13. Participate in research and application process of financial grants available and applicable to the department.
14. Ensure support is provided to ECN seniors in off-reserve long term care services or hospitals.
15. Maintain and update an Elders/Seniors list (demographics, land locations, telephone directory, etc.) and coordinate sharing of information with Administrative Assistant.
16. Assist with the planning and organizing of senior programs such as Elders Week, and/or other related senior activities.
17. Liaise with on/off reserve health care services for Elders/Seniors.
18. Conduct home visits when requested with seniors and perform assessments when seniors become eligible for senior services.
19. Responsible to ensure the building is operating and maintained to standards.
20. Ensure bookings are operating efficiently and follow-up with any concerns.
21. Participate in partnerships with Assisted Daily Living as they related to senior clients.
22. Attend meetings as requested such as the HUB weekly meetings.
23. Perform other related duties as may be required by Community Services Director.
Post-Secondary education in management or business administration or 3-5 years’ experience in management.
Management experience with proven skills in the following areas:
1. Writing reports and memos.
2. Strategic Planning and management (includes implement work plan & operational plan).
3. Human resource management: updating/developing job descriptions and performance management; and developing staff training plans.
4. Research and writing proposals.
5. Monitoring and controlling a budget, reading financial statements, and creating a budget.
6. Working with policy and writing policies.
7. Computer skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
Speak and understand the Cree language is essential.
Experience working and communicating with seniors with emphasis on understanding their needs.
Demonstrate strong professionalism and practice good work ethics.
Must have a valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
Excellent people skills and organizational skills.
Good verbal and written communication skills including public speaking and presentations.
Ability to work well and effectively with others (staff, senior citizens, and the public). Proven leadership and team building skills.
Coordinating information and directing the work of others.
Experience with event and program planning.
Demonstrate empathy for and enjoy working with seniors.
Have a working knowledge of community resources and services
Sign an Oath of Confidentiality.
Must submit a Criminal Record Check.
Please Submit Application/Resume and updated Criminal Record Check
Supervisor Childcare Worker (ECD Level 1,2 &3)with the Ermineskin Daycare department
CLOSING: November 16, 2023
The Supervisor-Childcare workers main responsibility is the wellbeing and safety for daycare children assigned under his/her care and is required to faithfully fulfill the implementation of the program, services and policies of the Ermineskin daycare. As a representative of Ermineskin Daycare the incumbent must demonstrate kindness, patience and respect toward all community and staff members in general and particular towards those who are obtaining services from the daycare. This person must strictly adhere to the code of ethics established by the Ermineskin Daycare center and take an oath of confidentiality. The worker shall at all times be governed by the employment policy and professionally prepared as a daycare worker of young children obtaining level 1,2,3 of Early Childhood Development education and First-aid in childcare; able to meet the requirements of the licensing agency. This person must be a Cree speaker and should not have any criminal convictions. HOURS OF WORK: The days and hours of work are Monday to Friday with rotating shifts of 8:00a.m. – 5:00p.m. for seventy-two (72) hours bi-weekly.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
The duties of the supervisor-childcare worker-childcare assistant include the following:
Assist in the administration of daycare policies, guidelines and procedures.
Assist in the preparation of the calculation of children’s hours.
Supervise room childcare workers
Meet with parents and guardians and discuss children’s progress or incident and accident reports.
Perform other duties that may be assigned by the program coordinator and manager.
Care for and supervise the well-being of the children at all times.
Train level 1 co-workers, if they should be experiencing difficulties within children and program planning.
BASIC ABILITIES NEEDED: The supervisor-childcare worker-child care assistant should have:
A warm sympathetic, friendly, personality. He/she must really enjoy being with children, show it in his/her behavior and let children feel they can look to him/her for protection, help and sympathy.
Self-confidence: the supervisor-Child Development must be able to give children the feeling that she knows what she is doing and for what reasons. His/her self-confidence helps children feel secure with him/her.
DEPENDABILITY AND STABILITY:
Not only should the supervisor-childcare worker-childcare assistant understand his/her individual responsibility for safeguarding, protecting and teaching children, but he/she must be able to use good judgment in emergencies and his/her reactions to an unusual behavior by children or colleagues.
ABILITY TO ACCEPT SUPERVISION:
The supervisor- childcare worker-childcare assistant must be able to learn new concepts and how and when to use what he/she has learned. He/she must be capable of accepting criticism undefensively and of continuing to experiment and willing to try new ideas without fear or failure.
The supervisor-Child Development must be in good physical and mental health, keeping up physical and active children required vigorous activity and sharing the care of a child and realize that he/she cannot fulfill own emotional needs by becoming a rival with parents for child’s affection.
JOB ROUTINES: DAILY:
Provides children’s programs schedules daily activities to create a balance between active and quite play.
Reports all accidents or emergencies related to the program.
Assist children in their daily routines.
MEALS AND SNACKS:
Ensure that all staff members are sitting down to eat with and supervising children during meals.
Good manners are suggested; help is offered with children experiencing difficulties.
He/she does not force children to eat, but encourages them.
DIAPER CHANGE AND TOILET/HAND WASHING:
The supervisor-childcare worker-childcare assistant accompanies children, as they may need help.
He/she sets up schedule for taking the children a few at a time.
He/she makes sure children learn good habits.
Ensure that co-workers are implementing the diapering and hand washing procedures at all times.
He/she ensures that staff is encouraging children to hand wash at all times especially after washroom use.
SLEEPING OR RESTING/ QUIET TIME:
Supervisor-childcare worker-childcare assistant makes resting time a normal and pleasant part of the routine.
The supervisor-childcare worker-childcare assistant does not force the child to sleep but does not expect him/her to rest by rubbing his/her back or using other methods he/she may find effective to encourage quite time. i.e.) allow child to read quietly and sitting on the rest mat.
Prepare children’s attendance sheets.
Prepare primary staff attendance sheets.
Prepare bi-weekly schedule of activities that meet the needs of the children. MONTHLY:
Prepare children’s progress forms.
Submit a newsletter on past activities and planned actives to keep parents informed.
Have a yearly medical.
Supervise fellow room staff members enforcing rules and regulations
Maintain a good relationship with the children’s parents
SUPERVISING DUTIES: DIRECT -
Children left in your care.
SUPERVISING OF POSITIONS: DIRECT –
Will report to the coordinator and manager, all jobs related activities, problems and success
Will do all progress reports for children in his/her group.
Will report to the coordinator and manager of all incidents, illness, success or behavioral problems related to the children in his/her group.
Will submit all reports requested by the manager.
Direct the activities and create a classroom atmosphere in which the children can grow according to his/her own needs and capabilities at each stage of growth. Support the child in face of conflicts, failures, obstacles and disappointments and help him/her achieve new skills that enable him/her to cope better with similar situations.
Use his/her special skills to set limits to his/her strides in growth.
Talk to children to enhance language development at their level of understanding. Understand that a young child’s behavior is his/her way of telling him/her how he/she feels and watch his/her behavior closely on how to help and guide the child. Use non-punitive (punishment) methods of dealing with out of bounds behavior always aware the goal is to develop self-discipline not submission.
Provide a variety of materials selected with the development characteristics of the young child.
Arrange toys and materials and make space available for their use so that the child can benefit from them at their level to be made accessible, not to restrict from reaching them.
Give the childfree choices of selection of equipment. Observe his/her use of it, stand ready to help him/her and guide them towards new ways of using equipment for enriched achievements.
Make the classroom a place where the child finds order but not regimentation, freedom but not license.
Help the child satisfy experience in his/her relationship with other children.
Know to make routines, as well as play activities, good learning experiences.
Protect the child from dangers.
Be aware of the child’s physical condition at all times.
Understand the importance of his/her role as an adult in the life of the child and use this role in reinforce his/her sense of security and belonging.
Get to know the child’s family and be familiar with his/her home situation. KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES & SKILLS REQUIRED: EDUCATION:
Grade Ten (10) Grade Twelve (12) Willingness to be training in E.C.D Trained in E.C.S. EXPEREINCE: Having worked with children LICENSES OR Level 1 – Early Childhood Development Assistant Level 2 – Early Childhood Worker Level 3 – Early Childhood Supervisor
OTHER SKILLS Fluency in Cree Language First Aid in Childcare
ADDITIONAL Valid driver’s license and own transportation
REQUIREMENTS No Criminal Record Clearance of Child Welfare Check Sobriety Please Submit Application/Resume, ECD Certificate, updated Criminal Record Check and Child Intervention Check.
*Applications and actual job descriptions may be picked up at the Personnel office located in the Ermineskin Tribal Administration office*
Incomplete Applications will automatically be screened out
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Ermineskin Cree Nation Phone: (780) 585-3741 ext. 241 or 311 Personnel Department Edmonton Direct: (780) 420-0008 Box 219 Red Deer Direct: (780) 343-1078 Maskwacîs, AB Ma Me O Beach Direct: (780)586-2545 T0C 1N0 Toll Free: 1-866-585-3941